Con-Tech DKI Damage Prevention Tips for Property Owners
The following is a list of common and useful tips for property owners that may reduce the potential for future property damage.
- Regularly clean your property’s gutters and eavestroughs to ensure the water is draining away from your property.
- Always turn off exterior water lines from the controls inside the property and drain the water lines to the outside before winter arrives.
- During the spring and fall when rains can be heavy, check that all exterior drains are cleared of debris, including eavestroughs and downspouts.
- Shut off main water valves and drain all pipes in the property while on vacation or during business closure.
- Storing valuable items in plastic boxes and off the floor will help ensure that they will not be damaged by water.
- Frequently inspect your roof for worn or missing shingles, as well as any areas where the metal flashing is bent or unsealed. Repair any damaged or missing materials immediately.
- Be aware of tree branches that are hanging close to your building structure. Remove dead branches or diseased trees that may not withstand storm conditions.
- When storms are predicted, have flashlights and battery-powered lighting ready to use in case of a power outage. Flameless candles are a great idea for a power outage.
- Change batteries in smoke detectors every time the clock moves forward or back and test all smoke alarms at least once a month.
- Be cautious when using candles as a light source during a storm. Put candles out before they get too close to the holder or container.
- Never leave food cooking on the stove unattended! If you have to leave the kitchen for even a short period of time, be sure to turn off the stove.
- If you will be absent from your property for an extended period of time, choose a responsible person to manage your property while you are away.
- Keep up appearances around your property. Arrange for a neighbor to take out the trash, to park a car in the driveway, and to maintain the lawn in your absence.
If your property experiences an insurable loss due to fire damage, water damage, storm damage, vandalism, break-ins, or vehicle impact damage; Con-Tech DKI emergency restoration specialists are ready to provide you with emergency clean up and restoration services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.